Wednesday, September 18, 2013

We have started poetry! This is my poem based on the style of Robert Gilbert.


YOU, ME AND THE MOON

The stars kissed me goodnight like my Nana did, while
the moon grasped my heart and wouldn’t let go,
and the first droplet of rain fell, nestling into my skin
like my hand cupping my chin,
while the strong scent of paraffin tickled my nose,
tasting like home on my tongue.
I remember Jack Elliot, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania,
talking his talk about what should be and what really is.
I spun across the hardwood floor,
spinning dreams and wishes for tomorrow.
And the music was bitchin’ and his toes were tapping,
and bass was beating the floor and the chandelier was quivering.
The somber air outside was shut out
by the melody that was tickling my ears.
Our steps were perfecting in unison;
my feet were yours and yours were mine.
Annie twisted her hips as she riffled through records
and our smiles slipped through the window panes,
shattering once they hit the cement outside.
Annie’s record was placed on the player,
beginning to sing before the needle touched.
But we danced until the moon cried

and she wept until the stars fell asleep.

Love from Pullman,

The Blonde and the Bullshit

No comments:

Post a Comment