Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Today in lab for my English 302 class we had to write a mimic of the Poem 'We Real Cool' by Gwendolyn Brooks. We also had to write two poems about random objects provided for us. The first was a plush garlic toy and the second was a plastic T-Rex toy.

The original poem by Gwendolyn Brooks:

We Real Cool
                                 THE POOL PLAYERS.
                                 SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL.

We real cool. We
Left school. We 

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

My version:

We Play Ball
                                THE NEIGHBORHOOD BOYS.
                                SEVEN ON THE STREET CORNER.
                          
We play ball. We
Catch calls. We

Trade tricks. We
Sling sticks. We

Ride real. We
Sneak steals. We

Place plates. We
Go state.

GARLIC – Random Object Poem

The garlic’s tang bites at my nostrils,
scraping tears out of my eyes.
I whip them away as focused as a
race horse in the gate.
I chop the garlic, with vicious strokes.
 Taking the day’s anger out on it like
a snake thrashing on the ground with its prey.
The juices from its crushed segments drip onto
the cutting board, like my tears on my palm.

T-REX – Random Object Poem

It snarls at me from its stand,
taller and larger than me.
It gnashes its teeth at me,
and roars a scream like a
lame horse being shot.
It stands there on its platform
glaring out of sockets without eyes
like two holes in the wall.
It’s rancid breath hits me like a
slap in the face but I can walk away,
he’s just a jumble of bones stacked together

for an exhibit at the National History Museum.

Love from Pullman,

The Blonde and the Bullshit

No comments:

Post a Comment