Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tuesday's prompt was to take a familiar idiom and write a poem where you take the phrase literally (ex: 'take a hike', 'best of both worlds', 'have your cake and eat it too', etc.).  I chose to do 'killing two birds with one stone.'

TWO BIRDS, ONE STONE

God put his brain in backwards,
dropped it in the cavity of bone,
didn't even check if it was in right.
Papa said not to look at him,
but I met him last November,
asked him what he liked to do.
Like I didn't know.
One eye squinting,
gun, made of hands, cocked.
"Hitting one crow? Pithy.
Like Death deciding whose throat to slit."
His voice soft, drifting, dusty,
like I was just a maple in the wood.

God put his brain in backwards,
brain stem digging into frontal lobe.
"Two crow boom, two crow boom,"
he lamented, like the cow going to slaughter.
Mad as a March, God said.
Bought it off a guy I graduated with,
safety disengaged.
One crow, two crow,
two birds, one stone.

Writing one tonight, I'll put it up later!

Love from Pullman,

The Blonde and The Bullshit

No comments:

Post a Comment