Monday, February 24, 2014

The prompt for February 13 was to write about a turning point in your life.

FEBRUARY 13

"Tell me your turning point,"
he said.
Dammit, I know
what it is, but I 
wish I had to think
about it more.
I wish I had to mull
over my turning point.
I wish I had to debate
whether it was when I
looked in the mirror,
junior year, realizing 
that the ugly duckling
was a little less ugly.
Or maybe, it was
the first day of college;
fresh start and shit.
But it wasn't.

Weird that Whitney was 20.
Maybe it isn't weird;
I'm 20, well, almost.
20, spine cracked,
fragile, coma intensive.
I'm not that kind of 20.

I sit on my bed,
writing about her,
heating pad on high,
peanut pretzels
in a bowl.
I almost want
to ask her
what it was like
on the driver's side.
T-boned, neck split.
Sometimes it hits
me at weird times.
But maybe it's not weird.
Not weird that she left
on the thirteenth
and that this was the assignment
and that I sit here
on hard, black plastic
and tell about her
fucked up death
to people I hardly know.

20, and I haven't done anything.
But maybe she hadn't either.
That's not true,
I know it's not.
She had done things.
But not really, you know?
Not turning point things.
She's my turning point thing.

Whitney sits in a box,
burnt down into a gold urn.
20 years old.
What if she were me?
Maybe it isn't weird.

Love from Pullman,

The Blonde and The Bullshit

No comments:

Post a Comment