Wednesday, October 23, 2013

We just began Creative Non-Fiction in my creative writing class.In class, my teacher says: "if it doesn't make sense you're doing it right." We have practice by taking three random categories, writing a paragraph for each and then putting them together.For example: in class we did a money problem, your ideal love and wind. So I chose two, a bit more vague, categories: death and water. So here it is:


WHEN THE HOUSE CALLS HOME


My eyes opened at the seams, my tears flooding the floor. The urn sat in the middle of the oak alter, before the same wooden pews. Flowers decorated the sides, shockingly alive in their vases. They spilt onto the stairs, dripping with petals. My breath caught in my throat as I pictured her tall frame returning to dust and fitting into that small box. That’s a church thing, right? “You are dust, and to dust you shall return.” The rain dripped onto the cement from the edge of the gutter, sounding like a metronome. The raindrops slid down our driveway into the storm drain. When I was six, I won a goldfish at the carnival and took him home. He danced around his plastic bag making loops and spirals with his fins. I didn’t know what to do with him; didn’t have a bowl big enough. We sat on my porch, with him in his plastic home and me in my sandals. That summer I poured him down the storm drain, giving him back to his home.

I'll be writing more soon, seeing as this unit has just begun.

Love from Pullman,
The Blonde and the Bullshit

No comments:

Post a Comment